Sunday, April 22, 2012

You know your getting old when....

Wednesday we had a homeschool bowling day. So while the older girls bowled with their friends I bowled with our 5 year old. Bad idea!  She beat me too!

Thursday afternoon I ended up in the emergency room. After 3 days of a sciatica nerve attack in my back, it moved into my pelvic area and left hip along with the top of my thigh. I would describe the pain along the levels of labor. With waves of pain and controlled breathing I wanted to scream"Give me an epidural!!!!!!!!!!!!"  I am not joking...it was that bad! Did I mention that I have a high pain tolerance?

Thursday was the day Kelley finally went back to work all by himself. Wouldn't you know it none of the older kids were home either. Kelley wasn't answering his phone. I almost drove myself but knew that wasn't such a great idea. Finally calling my son at work asking him to send our daughter home to drive me. 

I will start off saying...I HATE emergency rooms! This was our 2nd visit within a few weeks ...that visit was a 3 hour wait. Sign in, wait... triage,wait... send daughter to say I need pain meds,wait... Kelley arrives and goes to tell them I need something....Here comes the Calvary! My hero manages to get me some sympathy and some great pain meds! Maybe it was the fact that he was in a walking cast and had crutches. When it rains it pours! I still had to wait for an ER bed but doing it with I.V. pain meds made it so much better!

After seeing the Doc a CT scan was ordered. Possible kidney stone or ovarian cyst was mentioned. And we wait and wait and wait.  Results come back and all is clear!  Conclusion...must be my sciatic.
Really? But it's in my pelvic area and the top of my thigh! I never knew it could move into and affect those areas.

Once again we leave the ER late...right along with  3 prescriptions. No pharmacies are open now. I knew I should have asked for 1 more dose before I left! This was a long night!

Today as we got ready for church my husband and I found ourselves laughing! You know your getting old when you have to make sure one of you didn't take any meds that caused drowsiness. 
Our beside tables are looking like a pharmacy. Our conversations have turned to talking about aches and pains. This is not the excitement I have been praying for! For now as we wait... wait for endurance...wait for healing....I will praise the one who gave me life! He is still great and worthy to be praised! Rest... it's what I try to do for now. Sitting at Jesus' feet. Listening.


I will leave you with a laugh...this is how my leg feels today. Novocaine is a funny thing!








No comments: