Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Journey to a thankful heart...Please and thank you!

Day 30....Manners are not just for kids!





If your a mom...You have probably had the pleasure of teaching your kiddos the glorious task of learning manners. Many times trying to get them to say thank you and you ending up saying it for them. Eventually they catch on and you are free to just smile with pride.

I have lived in the south most of my life. Nothing says manners better than a southern raised child...well most of them. Southerners have even gotten away from teaching their kids manners. As with anything you do, repetition is the key to learning. Same is true for manners...practice makes perfect!

This journey has taught me how lax I have been to show others my appreciation for the things they do to give of themselves. I have always loved to be recognized for my sacrifices...but have failed miserably at the return gesture. As I have been on this journey I have focused more on my please and thank yous. Because of that I have made a wonderful discovery...people are actually surprised to even get a thank you. Many times I have watched them get distracted from what they were doing ...almost as if they were saying "Did she actually tell me thank you?" It's really funny but sad to see their expressions! Have we gotten to the place in society where we feel we deserve to have others serve us? Yes, they may be getting paid for their services. But wouldn't they do a better job if they were encouraged by those two simple words? A little encouragement goes a long way!

 As I continue this venture to put a little smile on others faces and let them know what they do matters...my heart will continue to change and grow more thankful.

 Just like memorizing words from a page...manners practiced repetitively will come with age. Thank you Thank you Thank you.......

Thank you for coming along on this journey with me. I hope you take something away from this blog and make someone smile!

No comments: