Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thankful for the change of seasons

 Day 17...The seasons of life



Winter...Spring...Summer...Fall...all are seasons we experience. Depending on where you live the climate of the seasons may be different. We all experience different seasons in our lives too. Childhood, teen years, college years, young married life, raising kids and many other changes we experience as we walk this road of life. Some of these seasons we wish away for one reason or another. Some we want to hang onto for fear of growing old or fear of the unknown. Wishing away seasons in our lives can leave us with regrets and unlearned lessons. Potty training is my one season where I would like for it to end. Or maybe the teenage years or just the ... What am I doing wishing away my life? God has blessed me with life and many experiences good and bad! Sometimes I'm so focused on getting something finished that I miss an opportunity to be blessed. Doesn't God say in EVERYTHING give thanks?

I remember as a child anticipating the Christmas season. As with any child I was probably only thinking of the gifts and playing with our cousins. It's funny how a season in your life can play such a major role in the traditions we carry on to our children. My favorite thing is to buy a Mistletoe Candle from Yankee Candle company. It's not because of the expense...it's the smell. I can stand and smell this candle and suddenly I'm back in our house in Loganville Georgia. Oh the smell of  the fresh cut Christmas tree and I'm a child again drowning in Christmas paper, decorations and lights feeling the heat from that huge fireplace. We always had a baking day with our mom. Sugar cookies and colored icing everywhere.This was something we always did and looked forward to every year. Maybe I should find a candle to transport me back there. I wish it were that easy! Christmas will always be my favorite season no matter how hectic it can be. Someone please remind me of this statement in a few weeks when I'm drowning in packages and receipts collapsed with exhaustion!

There are many seasons I have experienced. Some I would love to redo. Some I would like to go back to and just stay. Some I would like to totally forget. But if I did that I would miss out on many more seasons ahead.

As I walk this road of life I will slow down and just enjoy and relish the season God has layed before me. I will cherish the good and the bad while learning to be thankful. Just like the Christmas season...I will anticipate the future seasons as God draws me with the aromas of His guiding hand.

Change is good and that makes me thankful!


Scripture Credit

Ecclesiastes 3

Everything Has Its Time
 1 To everything there is a season,

      A time for every purpose under heaven:
       2 A time to be born,
And a time to die;
      A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;
       3 A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
      A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
       4 A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
      A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
       5 A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones;
      A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;
       6 A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
      A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;
       7 A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
      A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;
       8 A time to love,
And a time to hate;
      A time of war,
And a time of peace.



Scripture credit

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (New King James Version)16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.  

No comments: